We can run bespoke courses for between 6 - 10 people so please contact us for further information.
LEL3 provides skills and experience for those wanting to lead expedition groups and train participants to undertake their own self sufficient expeditions.
The Sports Leaders UK Level 3 Qualification in Lowland Expedition Leadership is a nationally recognised qualification that trains and qualifies teachers, youth
workers and other members of the community to:
- Lead walking groups in lowland countryside
- Impart the knowledge and skills needed to undertake a day walk
- Have responsibility for the care of others while leading a day walk in lowland countryside
- Plan and lead overnight base and mobile camps.
- It is the minimum qualification required by some Operating Authorities for those wanting to train and lead groups in the expedition section of The Duke of Edinburgh's
Award scheme. The level of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award that a Basic Expedition Leader can lead depends on the terrain in which the expedition is taking place. The terrain must fall within the LEL
- The qualification also counts towards the volunteering section of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme.
- The qualification counts towards the service section of all three awards in The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme.
- Mountain Leader Training UK include the Level 3 Qualification in Lowland Expedition Leadership on the qualification matrix in the National Guidelines for
Climbing and Hillwalking Leaders.
- Age: 17+ (learners must be 18 years of age on completion - please note, there is no upper age limit for this qualification)
- Guided learning hours: 135 hours (including 30 hours demonstration of leadership)
- The qualification does not qualify people to lead groups in remote or mountainous areas.
The Level 3 Qualification in Lowland Expedition Leadership has eight units of work including 30 hours demonstration of leadership:
|Minimum age on course start
|Minimum age for certification
|Level of supervision during course
|Level of supervision once qualified
||Independent of supervision
|Total Qualification Time (TQT)
|Tutored time (GL)
Demonstration of leadership
15 hours of walk leadership
15 hours of expedition leadership
Cost: £465.00 per person (+VAT)
Price includes Log Book, Certification and all tuition.
Objective: LEL3 provides skills and experience for those wanting to lead expedition groups and train participants to undertake their own self